4.03.2008

SECRET DEEDS STAR


While I'm posting on the subject of things our family does. I want to document a couple more that have really worked for us. We received this darling Star Wand for Christmas back in 2004 from one of our neighbors. It came with a darling little poem, which I can't believe I didn't keep a copy of.


Anyway, this little star has been a joy to have. The concept of this little Sharing Star is to have someone start by doing a kind deed for another member of the family. After the deed is done, simply place the star on the person's pillow or leave it in the place where you did the deed, for the family member to find. Then it is that person's turn to continue with a deed for someone else.


The fun thing about this Star Wand, is that is has been going around in our family for a few years now. When we moved, I had it put away, and sure enough once I unpacked it, somehow it started up again just by laying there in my room. We all do kind deeds for one another, but this has been a simple reminder for us, when we aren't necessarily thinking about it. When a parent hears from their child "Mom, aren't you going to do something nice? You've had the star for a few days." Sometimes it will be forgotten by a family member, and they will not pass it on, so it sits, or gets put in the toy box, and Mom or Dad sometimes get busy and put it on the shelf, or by the magazine rack. But it is only a matter of a few days or weeks once in a while, even a month will go by...and then, sure enough, it is "found" again by someone. And once again a kind act is gentle done, and the surprise of the Secret Deeds Star is alive.



PS. I Actually took this idea and used it for a Sharing Time. I punched out little red paper stars and attach them to a brown paper wand. I thought of it last minute, so next time I would have attached them to popcicle sticks. Anyway, each of the kids got one to take home and do a kind deed for a family member.

No comments: