Today Alyssa had the opportunity to share a Christmas Tradition with her classmates. I’ve been under the weather lately with cough and cold, so I haven’t done a whole lot this past week. So I thought I would make this normally not so big of a deal show and teach, a little more special. I thought it would set a fun mood for the kids for the holidays. And quite honestly, today being the 4th anniversary of Scott passing away, I selfishly needed a little pick me up. Life is short. I am reminded today to cherish every moment.
We chose our Swedish St. Lucia Tradition. Alyssa was scared everyone would laugh at her for being dressed up. In the car she said with tears in her eyes, “I am too embarrassed. I’m not doing it. What if I’m the only one with my mom there”
I was always taught to nudge a little more than a parents heartstrings think they should. Usually if done gently and reassuringly, the child will rise to the occasion, even if reluctantly. The results become life teaching and confidence instilling! She wanted nothing to do with it. I couldn’t get her out of the car… Until she saw her friend pull up to school…WITH HER MOM. (thank heavens!) and jumped out of the car… so off we went!
We walked in the classroom and she still being shy looked around and heard her teacher say, “Alyssa, we’re all excited to see what you have for us today.” With that one sentence, Alyssa looked at me put her robe and sash on and went straight to the front of the class, carrying her iron tray filled with cookies and cakes for her classmates. When she was done telling about her tradition she sat down with such a proud little look on her face, grinning from ear to ear. So with that…my heart official welcomed the full fledged Christmas Spirit!
I am thankful that something as simple as show and teach at Kindergarten today reminded me that we can find happiness through small and simple things in life. We can make ordinary days into extraordinary moments. Especially when we need a little pick me up. But we need to look for those opportunities. We need to be willing to take those opportunities. There’ll always be the days when even getting up, doing hair, or making breakfast are a challenge for any of us at any given time. But following those days are the times when we recommit. Recommit to life and hope. We get up. We get on with it. Because we are alive! And we ultimately have the choice to bring touches of JOY into life. When we put that spring back into our step…well…that’s when we know…life is still good.
1 comment:
AWESOME!!!!
You are so great, what a neat thing to do. I bet she'll always remember this day. And the greatest memory will be that YOU were there supporting her.
SO SWEET!
Post a Comment