5.31.2011

DECATHALON

Along with 3 others,

Tyson qualified to represent his Elementary’s

4th grade in their District Decathlon. 

The competed as a team with 2 girls and 2 boys. 

The kids had a fun time together. 

Halfway through the 200meter run, he pinched a nerve in

his side and boy did he grimace to the finish line. 

To watch his little 10 yr old face go from

sheer drive & determination to one of agony was difficult.

He started to give up towards the end slowing almost to a walk.

But we cheered him on

for that additional 15 to 20 ft at a mild trot of a pace. 

I wanted him to know he could push through that finish line. 

…And he did!

I am glad as his mom that I will have this to show him

when he is older… for that next time…that bigger race

…the bigger more importance race in life… 

When I will tell him once more:

“We’re cheering for you.  Don’t give up.  Pace yourself. 

You’re almost there,

…You can do this!”

2011-05-28IMG_6453-1

No comments: