Being greeted by my little girl saying Happy Smother's Day with a flower and great big grin was a joy this morning. Tyson and Alyssa gave me great big hugs and kisses. They know I love that more than anything.
I was reminded of these 2 quotes today. This is what I think it really means to be a Mother.
"Mothers hold their Children's hands for a little while and their hearts forever".
...and along with that...
"Children never really grow beyond the reach of their Mother's heart".
I am forever grateful for the undying influence of the wonderful Mother's in my life. I was fortunate in my youth to have 3 of my 4 Great Grandmother's alive long enough to have memories of them. I remember my Grandmother Pearson with her tall thin body wearing her beautiful blue and white polka dot dress. My Grandmother Ogden small in stature with her white curlie hair and her cane. She would recite poetry and little songs to us. My Grandmother Thomson hardly had a natural gray hair on her 80 something year old head. She had colored Buttermints and candy butterscotches in a little glass dish. I mostly remember they all had soft hands and warm smiles each time we came to visit.
My two Grandmothers taught me many wonderful things as well. Not only through their example's of Motherhood, but also through their physical skill sets they had to offer me. My Grandma Olive taught me how to sew, to make wheat bread, to love the ballet, to love travel, and to appreciate elegance and grace. My Grandma Jane taught me how to quilt, to love church books, to love poetry, to keep up on current events, and to laugh at myself.
These two women both reared families through wonderful as well as difficult times. They both were blessed with financial wealth beyond the norm. They both towards the later years of their lives lost that wealth in different unrelated circumstances. However, through these years, watching them as a Grandchild, and now being grown I mention this because, they both were so very charitable to others with that wealth. They both spent their lives serving others constantly, sometimes to a fault. And when the financial wealth was gone, they both and different times, rose to their challenges and never stumbled with their faith in the gospel and knowledge of what truly matters in this life and the next. They only increased the faith of their posterity through their unfaltering examples. Their happiness never changed. They both knew that the love of their spouses, children and families was the only true wealth they needed. An Eternal family is the only true wealth that matters. THAT alone is one of the greatest blessings I have learned in my life. Thanks to my Grandmothers.
Charity is the pure love of Christ. Charity is not something you have, Charity is something you are.
These two women were definitely that.
I was also blessed to know Todd's two Grandmother's for a number of years and learned poise, tenderness and love from both of them as well. I continue learning about them through my in laws. I am thankful for their stories.
I am blessed also to have an incredible Mother, Mother in law, and Step Mother. Each of these women have a unique place in my heart. They have taught me well. They continue to teach me about the everyday things I need help with. They have such wisdom and insight to life. For just a few short years ago, they we my age, with small children, learning for themselves.
4 comments:
Candy that was very sweet tribute to your mom and grandmothers. I wish I was old enough to of had some memories of my great-grandmothers.
I hope you had a wonderful mothers day!
that really was so sweet--I loved it. Cute cute picture, sounds like you had a great smothers day!
Today in Sacrament meeting we were blessed to have amazing speakers. Two of the quotes I heard, and loved... and I'm only passing it along because I think that you will appreciate them as well were " Because my Mother knows, I do not doubt." And the other one was, " We are what our Mothers made us." I thought they were so accurate. It made me feel both incredibly overwhelmed at the idea that my children will in fact become most of what I and my husband instill in them, and also so grateful that I get to choose what they might become based on my own example. As you said, I feel so blessed to be a Mom and to also have an amazing Mom myself!!
What amazing women to have in your life~~
Post a Comment