6.08.2010

HUMAN NATURE

I thought I’d be brave.  Take one for the team.  Face one of my fears for some family fun.  Well, hmmm…

It’s ONLY NATURAL to be SCARED TO DEATH when you’re driving up a canyon road cliff side…right?

I blame it on my Father.  When I was little we would drive up some of the highest cliff-top roads.  The kind where there’s barely enough dirt to hold one vehicle, let alone 2 when needing to pass.

So when my kids heard me scream like a scaredy cat and start to cry, (which isn’t really mother like of me) it’s ONLY NATURAL for Todd to have to be the one to reassure them that I’m not acting properly.  That he would never do anything to put us in danger. 

Todd then explains to the kids that as a teenager I was never scared, and even points out the cliff side rock we repelled down a few times. 

Alyssa proceeds to think logically and asks me why I’m scared now, when I wasn’t sacred when I was younger.  “That’s not how it is mom.”  Then she adds  “Dad should be the one who is scared, cuz he’s younger than you!”   Boy do I have a smart  AND BRAVE 5 yr old girl.

Todd didn’t do much to console me.  I told him that if we were still dating that he would be a little kinder to me and help TALK ME OFF THE emotional LEDGE.  Ha ha.

SO…was it worth it?  ABSOLUTELY!!!  The scenery was brilliant, and sharing it with my family was perfect.

These photos are in order of our journey up and back.  We surprised the kids with our portable grill to make some yummy Smores.

On the way down, it started to rain.  The storm was just starting to brew.  The clouds were STUNNING!!  We were also taken back when rounding a corner to see the CLOSEST RAINBOW EVER.  The perspective was incredible.  I’ve only seen rainbows from afar…never have I been up in the mountains where they actually grow!  :0)

A BEAUTIFUL DAY!

IMG_5372IMG_5393IMG_5376IMG_5404IMG_5412 IMG_5422IMG_5429IMG_5444IMG_5447 IMG_5456IMG_5465IMG_5485IMG_5487IMG_5500

IMG_5513IMG_5519IMG_5514IMG_5516IMG_5518IMG_5520 IMG_5521IMG_5542IMG_5553IMG_5555IMG_5527

4 comments:

Heather said...

Gorgeous! I miss those mountains. Which canyon was it?

Lake-Allen said...

Wow! Great pictures! I loved that storm also.

Makell said...

Fantastic pictures! This story made me think of a time in high school. Do you remember the time we took a jeep up Farmington canyon to go on that glacier? I don't remember exactly what happened only that on the way down we ended up with the jeep going up the side of the canyon wall as we lost control. It was the guys who were driving...that's probably why! Can you believe we survived those years? It makes me nervous to think of what my kids aren't going to tell me about...

Candy McCall said...

This is the Canyon straight East of our house.

Makell, how could I forget the Jeep ride? I think THAT was the last time I drove up that canyon.
Darn boys...they were supposed to protect us, not kill us!