12.05.2011

THANKFUL THOUGHTS 2011

Saturday after Thanksgiving, Todd wanted to cook our own Browned Bird so he could have lots of yummy sandwiches for the next week.  Tyson loves to help clean/season and prep the bird.  Alyssa got in on the action for a minute, until she saw the ‘insides’ coming out…at which point she left it to the boys to finish.  Tyson was a little nervous using an electric knife for the first time.  But so excited to do so. 

We enjoyed the afternoon together with a very special visitor in our home.  uncle Christian was able to come spend some time with us.  We were so happy.  While the Turkey cooked, I mixed some dough for the kids and Chris to make ornaments for the kids tree.  They cut them out and placed ribbons on them to hang for later.  Tyson and Alyssa took turns wheeling around in Christians awesome chair.  Tyson soon learned how much upper body strength it actually takes someone having to maneuver one of those. 

I had planned on looking through our Thankful Thoughts during dinner- so it was fun to have Chris there with us.  We set the table and enjoyed another full Thanksgiving feast with all the extra fix’ns.  We loved having holiday music in the background as that is one of Christians favorite things! 

A priceless moment presented itself to us as we gathered round the table while reading our Thankful thoughts.  The kids and Todd had each randomly selected 6 or 7 thoughts to share.  It became my turn and I grabbed a few and started to read.  I had Christian help me read the first one or two as we started each one with  “I am Thankful for… , and then opened the next one.  On it was written, “being able to walk!”

As I glanced at the paper and registered what it said.  I quickly teared up as I looked at Christian and my family and then read it out loud. 

“I AM THANKFUL FOR BEING ABLE TO WALK!”

I had forgotten that weeks earlier I wrote that down as something I was thankful for.  I remember thinking about my senses and things I take for granted.  Beautiful sunsets and eyesight to see them.  Sweet music and ears to hear those sounds.  The ability to walk, and strength to do so.

I looked as Christian as I stated the fact.  It is true!  And I know that rather than feeling sorrow- Christian felt joy that I would consider that such a blessing.  I also know that Christian is anxiously awaiting the time when he will be made whole. 

I am SO thankful for having the opportunity to grow up with such an amazing physical example of strength and miracle.  I have learned things that many may never learn or have the opportunity to learn on a level that most don’t allow themselves to be privy to.  Not by choice of mine- but through a daily example of growing up side by side with one of Christ’s miracles.  Christian is truly that!  He is on borrowed time.  The Lords time.  As our family sits and waits for that miracle to cease- we STAND in awe of the lessons that we learn. 

One of the greatest things about Todd is that when we first me, I watched him interact as a teenager with Christian.  NOT ONCE did he shy away or feel awkward from the beginning.  The opposite transpired and they grew a brotherly bond.  Not only had Todd been a brother to him through the years, he has been a physical angel to Christian in lifting him and carrying a load that only angels know how to do.  I am so blessed!   

 

2011-11-2852011-11-2822011-11-284

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I love this! Thank you so much for sharing.