"Parents are with their children almost constantly and can observe when they are ready to be instructed. From questions or behavior or because of experiences in their own lives, they can sense that it is time to teach. Parents must know when the time for the lesson is now, right now, for their children are ready for it."
I just LOVE this excerpt above. I can’t recall where I pulled it from. I think daily gems or something a week or so ago. Anyhow, I think it takes some time as a parent to really recognize (at least for me it did) that most things are best taught at the right time. Opportune timing is probably 90% of what makes a lesson or precept retainable for a child. When they are at an opportune moment for instruction-it should be seized to gain the fullest effect from that circumstance. The lessons in school , church etc. are truly best ingrained in our minds when they come into play during life experiences. Whether it be a correction for negative behavior or teaching about the importance of education, or how to deal with despair while driving through welfare square. Life is learned best through experiences, behavior and questions that come from ones own life and their relation to it and the world. Parents as we all know are there to guide and direct our children through those experiences. We say we teach, but I think I like to call it a mere pointing out of circumstances and having the child seek answers to their own questions.
Wow- I’m realizing just how much I still need to learn in my own life…A lot!!
No comments:
Post a Comment