At one point in a recent conversation the following statement (paraphrased) was made when referring to the word Respect: “I don’t really know what that word even means.”
It reminded me of just how easily we (as humans) can become out of practice with our own value system. Sometimes life gets busy and the day to day interactions between ourselves and others seem to be put on autopilot. But that only lasts for so long, until we hit smack dab into a situation which calls for current thought…for processing of the mind and soul together to make choices and decisions which lead us down one of the forks in the road. It is at those times when I find, at least for myself, that I better be practicing and paying attention ahead of time so that when those wake up calls happen, I can be ready for them with educated decision and moral compassing. Because, even then to err is human.
So hence when this month came around and on my wall I saw 5 more values from our family mission statement to chose from. I naturally chose Respect. Which happens to be one of the cornerstone values which many others are based upon.
Todd and I figured this value would be good this month with school starting and new schedules. They have run the roost throughout the summer and this hopefully be a nice way to reinforce bedtimes, chores and more enjoyment at the dinner table.
To kick the month off, I found a list/chart online that I really liked. It is a list of ways that parents can show respect to their children. I thought the kids would really appreciate knowing up front that again, this is something that the whole family is involved in learning- not just the kids. So I printed off this list and posted one in our kitchen and gave one to Tyson for his room. That way he can reference through the month and it will help him communicate with Todd and I about his feelings of weather he feels we are respecting him as an individual. It has already given us a common language to build upon with him.
We are breaking this value down into three basic respects. Respect for self. Respect for others. Respect for Surroundings.
We started the first week with talks about all three and just trying to point out places, things and people through out the day that we could respect.
Well- this is something our rowdy little family needs to work on- so we will keep our fingers crossed that it brings success. Even a small amount! :0)
SHOW RESPECT FOR CHILDREN
Be Honest - If you do something wrong, admit it and apologize.
Be Positive - Don’t embarrass, insult or make fun of your child. Compliment them.
Be Trusting - Let you child make choices and take responsibility.
Be Fair - Listen to your child’s side of the story before reaching a conclusion.
Be Polite - Use “please” and ‘thank you”. Knock before entering your child’s room.
Be Reliable - Keep promises. Show your child that you mean what you say.
Be a Good Listener - Give your child your full attention.
3 comments:
Oh, I need this right now. Where did you find the list to print off?
http://www.teach-nology.com/tutorials/teaching/respect/
I liked the specific article regarding teaching children respect. I have not delved into anything else on the website though. Just a little disclaimer there until I research the teachnology site before I would endorse any other info that might be found there. :0)
Fiauna- I emailed you a copy of the full article.
LOVE THIS!!! thanks
Post a Comment