"Not the maker of plans & promises,
but rather the one who offers
faithful service in small matters.
This is the person who is most likely
to achieve what is good and lasting."
- Goethe
We finished up our month of focusing on service with our family. The kids really got it. It was fun to see them excited to tell Todd and me the things they were trying to do for others to provide service. Even though we are moving on to another value for September, the service beads they earned were great, so we will be continuing them. That way we can add the next value without losing sight of what we just learned.
It was especially rewarding for us to see others outside of our family giving service to one another. The kids were able to point out several acts of kindness and service whether at the store, at church or in the neighborhood. It was also fun to hear that the theme for Tyson’s elementary this year is ‘Service’. It was a great way to end the month with reinforcement of this value for him.
I must admit as I watched Todd and the kids doing their far share of service, for a while I was struggling to find some important things that I could do to serve others. August was a pretty busy month with preparing for school, sports and just ‘stuff’. That shouldn’t have mattered though. But in the end, I have been able to look back and see where my helping hand and heart were there and able to serve others in small ways that proved to be rewarding to my soul. Now as a new month appears, and I have more time on my hands I hope I will take the time to seek out and find ways I can be of service to others.
And for now, we would like to shout out a big
THANK YOU to friends and loved ones, strangers
and passerby’s that showed their love and gave their time
and service to us. We are so grateful to you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment