This Summer before we headed home from California, we stopped at the beach for a short hour to let the kids play in the waves one more time. And you can bet I got coaxed into playing with them! :0) The waves were much stronger down in Newport. We got pummeled a few times…well actually, I just got pummeled by my son running into me, which in turn dropped me to my knees just in time for the wave to topple me a few times, getting me real nice and sandy for the plane ride home. Even better, Todd sat happily on the beach 20 feet away with his camera- but luckily this story is NOT about that, so I don’t feel inclined to share any of those photos here. Haahahaha! Ok. Well, maybe one. If I can’t laugh at myself…
We had been collecting small seashells for a while and at one point I grabbed the kids hands as a wave came upon the shore and said, close your eyes, hurry…wish for a giant seashell. (I do things like that for fun, you know) WELL- we opened our eyes, and as the wave draws back away from the sands Tyson and I both look about 5 feet away and catch sight of a beautifully white Sand Dollar! No joke. It was just perfect timing! What a fun little thing to happen RIGHT after a wish. It REALLY DID come true!!
Some how that memory seems to be one standing out among the rest. It’s those small moments in time, when, coincidence is not the word to use. I truly believe we have angels among us, those who aren’t seen. Those who are standing beyond the veil watching over us, and who, every once in a while are allowed to sprinkle us with a little extra joy in this life. I believe God works that way. I believe these are the little miracles in life that so often are passed by without thought that coincidence is much less a player in life than we should think.
I chose the most dignified of the photos. This was after I had toppled a few times, Tyson is already back on his feet, Alyssa laughing at me, and I’m realizing that Todd is snapping photos, while Dad and Jami look on with laughter as well! Tyson turning and running into me without looking while running from a wave…COINCIDENCE????
The Legend of the Sand Dollar
There's a lovely little legend
that I would like to tell,
of the birth and death of Jesus,
found in this lowly shell.
If you examine closely,
you'll see that you find here,
four nail holes and a fifth one,
made by a Roman's spear.
On one side the Easter lily,
its center is the star,
that appeared unto the shepherds
and led them from afar.
The Christmas Poinsettia
etched on the other side,
reminds us of His birthday,
our happy Christmastide.
Now break the center open,
and here you will release,
the five white doves awaiting,
to spread Good Will and Peace.
This simple little symbol,
Christ left for you and me,
to help us spread His Gospel,
through all Eternity.
Author Unknown
No comments:
Post a Comment