Since Todd and I celebrated Valentines over the weekend, we decided to plan a fun Valentines night for the kids on Monday. We gave them each a Valentine Menu Invitation that morning before school, inviting them to dinner at our Allen Family Restaurant. We provided choices of appetizers, dinner and dessert for them so they could circle what they wanted and we would have it ready for them. I wasn’t about to cook different stuff, but wanted them to have the fun of “ordering”, so it was all foods that I would be able to microwave or pull out of a package.
The invitation also included a warm bubble bath and back and shoulder massages for each of them.
They were really excited! Calling us “waiter….oh waitress….do this, can you bring me that…one more of these…now this. It was cute for about the first 2 minutes.
Then Todd looked at me and said, “Uh, how is this different from any other night? Them wanting us to wait on them that is.”
We put the old classic GREMLINS on for us to watch. Which in hind sight may have been the wrong movie because with in 20 minutes everything turned sour…I will call it the GIZMO to GREMLIN effect. Everything went sour!
The kids were so tired, so overloaded with sugar from their school valentines and down right being spoiled that the melt downs became overwhelming. We ended up spending the next hour talking about how love and being a family is very important and the need to treat each other kindly and not be selfish and not demand and, and, and….which was draining. NOT SO SWEET!
In the end though the kids took their nice warm baths. Finished the movie, and even showed Todd and I their little dance they made up together.
So, not the way we hoped the night would go…a least not bitter…just…SEMI-SWEET!
1 comment:
you are CUTE!!!!
I'm always so impressed with the effort you put in to such fun things for the kids and family.
Love it.
Post a Comment